Logo

Logo

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Newcomers Guide to Galveston, Texas Part 5

Good afternoon all! I am learning one thing about myself via this blog, and that is, I am not very schedule orientated. I don't know about any of the rest of you, but, it is just hard for me to blog every single day.
I'm sure that rest of you know what I'm talking about; It's just one of those sloooooow times in this business. Some would say, slow times in the real estate business are a ticket to doom, but I like to be a little more 'glass full'. I like to think that, at least I have this time to blog.
Anyway, BACK TO GALVESTON! It isn't a long-shot to say that most drivers will be on the road this Christmas season, because I'm sure all of you have some family get-togethers to attend. I thought I'd take this moment to convince you again to visit the greatest Island on the coastal United States--Galveston.
During the winter, tourists may be a little thrown off by Galveston's chilly winter winds, or the plain fact that nobody wants to be at the beach when it's cold. However, Galveston makes up for it's few small downsides, with tons and tons and tons of upsides. :)
All month long, the popular Moody Gardens plays host to a wonderful light show called The Festvial of Lights. It's a couple mile long walk down a beautifully lit trail, colored in Christmas lights and surrounded by festivity. If you haven't attended The Festival, I'd highly reccommend you make it a point this year.
See the link below to read more about The Festival of Lights.
http://www.moodygardens.com/seasonal_fun/festival_of_lights/
So, if you're looking for a quiet Winter break, pack for a long weekend, navigate your way to Interstate 45 and head south for the city of oleanders and palms.

Less than an hour south of Houston -- the nation's fourth-largest city -- Galveston feels like a small town. Looking at it dimensionally, Galveston is a small town, only 2.5 miles wide. However, the island stretches 32 miles long.

I have two favorite places to stay there, both now operated by the same corporation, the Tremont House or the 1911-vintage Hotel Galvez. The location of the two hotels nicely summarizes the geography of the island: The Tremont is on the bay side, near the commercial area known as the Strand, while the Galvez looks out on the Gulf of Mexico.

If you want to be in walking distance of antique stores, shops, museums and restaurants, I'd recommend the Tremont House.

If you're more in the mood for just sitting-or lying-in your hotel room staring at the gulf, book a room at the Galvez.

Galveston has more than 100 restaurants. One must-visit venue is Gaido's Seafood, an island landmark for decades. Overlooking the gulf, the venerable eatery has an old South feel and great seafood.

No comments:

Post a Comment